In addition to visiting your Alpharetta dentist and brushing and flossing each day to help protect your teeth, your diet can also play a huge part in fighting cavities and building strong teeth. Here are some of the best foods that help maintain your smile and keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Crunchy Fruits and Vegetables – Apples, celery, carrots and pears are all good examples of fruits and vegetables that help wipe away plaque-causing bacteria on your teeth. These foods also increase the production of saliva, which helps neutralize bacteria in your mouth.
- Calcium – Low-fat or fat-free dairy products like plain yogurt, milk and cheese are healthy choices for calcium that don’t add unnecessary unsaturated fat to your diet. Other great sources for calcium are leafy green vegetables like kale, bok choy and brussels sprouts.
- Vitamin D – Egg yolks, mushrooms, and most fish are some of the excellent sources available for Vitamin D, which helps your body absorb the calcium it needs to maintain healthy teeth.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is important because it regenerates collagen, what gum tissue is made from. Bell peppers and sweet potatoes are high in Vitamin C, as well as citrus fruits, strawberries and papayas. However, be careful about the acidity of citrus fruits, as they can weaken the tooth enamel.
- Herbs – Leafy herbs like parsley, basil and mint contain monoterpenes, which travel from your bloodstream to your lungs. Not only will these herbs help you maintain fresh breath, they are rich in vitamins, and many herbs contain antioxidants as well.
- Selenium – Selenium helps prevent oxidative stress by working together with a group of nutrients, including vitamins E, C, glutathione, selenium and vitamin B3, that prevent oxygen molecules from becoming too reactive. It can be found in Brazil nuts, shellfish, sunflower seeds, grains and mushrooms. There have been many studies that have established a relationship between antioxidants, free radicals and periodontal disease.
By eating the right foods in addition to making regularly scheduled visits to your dentist, and brushing and flossing regularly, you can keep your teeth and gums healthy and maintain that perfect smile. To schedule your appointment, contact the staff at Healthy Smiles of Georgia in Alpharetta, GA today.